July 16, 2012

Why I Became Vegan (Part 1/4)


I. Introduction

After about five years spent vacillating between anxious vegetarianism and frustrated (if not shame-filled) pescetarianism, I, on May 17, 2012, became vegan. This is a decision that I did not take lightly, and, despite the well-meaning skepticism of many of my meat-eating friends and family members, I can confirm here that it was perhaps the greatest decision of my life (certainly of recent memory). Even though I do not characterize my choice as the final resolution to the ethical tension of vegetarianism/pescetarianism (for reasons that I will get into later), it has greatly increased my happiness.

The only changes to my diet were to cease partaking of dairy products, eggs, and the occasional extravagance of fish (easily replacing the protein, vitamins, etc. with other foods/drinks). After careful inspection, I was happy to discover that no other significant changes to any other aspect of my daily life were necessary. I am even happier to report that my decision has not been a significant burden on anyone else, with the exception of a patient family member who does the grocery shopping and prepares some of my meals. Though my choices of restaurants are certainly more limited now, this does not bother me. Dining at public restaurants is a terribly bourgeois ritual that I try to avoid whenever possible anyway.

[Sidebar: It is a myth, by the way, that it is difficult to live vegan in a city like Springfield, Missouri, even though this is an assertion/objection that I have encountered with surprising frequency from meat-eaters. I realize that it would be infelicitous and unjust (probably) to call such an assertion a thinly veiled rationalization for their own eating practices, but I cannot help but wonder why this is such a common refrain.]

However, even though this decision has negatively affected no one, I could not simply “get away with it.” This decision of mine is a private decision that necessarily addresses itself in public, and it is therefore at the same time a political decision, subject to the constitutive antagonisms of politics. For this reason, I discovered that to be vegan presents itself to others as an inherently confrontational choice, as if, for some unknown reason, my choice infringes on their own sense of dietetic agency, that it sits in judgment on or is a direct challenge to the validity of their own lifestyle. Naturally, I do not intend it that way—but what do I know about my intentions, anyway?

Sometimes, my choice is met with a variety of hastily generated rationalizations for eating meat. But, more often, in a mixture of curiosity and disturbance, a reason is demanded of me. The onus is on me, in other words, to defend myself and my choice, to provide an adequate and convincing (but never adequate or convincing enough) argument for veganism. But responding in the way that is expected of me is always something that I wish to avoid, if at all possible; after all, it seems to me that thinking only happens when one rejects the framework created by one’s inquisitor and attempts to found another. Therefore, let me make clear (what I think are) my intentions in writing this.

I do not wish to produce an “apology” for veganism. Plenty of literature in this mode already exists, highlighting everything from the ethical angle to the ecological and personal health benefits of this choice. While such pre-existing arguments naturally affected my own decision, I do not wish to rehearse them here. Instead, I want to focus on one thing that I think is lacking from popular discourse on veganism as a lifestyle—the limitations of “veganism” when constructed as an ethical practice, limitations that I wholeheartedly accept and, I think, allow ethics and veganism to continue to be practiced. Therefore, my purpose here is not to justify my choice over and against the objections of an imagined interlocutor, nor (heaven forbid!) to try to convince an imagined reader that veganism is “right.”

I don’t know what is “right.” That is why I became vegan.