June 25, 2012

The Fragile Ethics of Testimony (Part 1/10)


[Full Title: The Fragile Ethics of Testimony: Giorgio Agamben’s Remnants of Auschwitz]

Because I remember, I despair. Because I remember, I have the duty to reject despair. I remember the killers, I remember the victims, even as I struggle to invent a thousand and one reasons to hope.
---Elie Wiesel, “Hope, Despair and Memory”


I.
Introduction

This essay engages the Italian philosopher Giorgio Agamben’s book Remnants of Auschwitz: The Witness and the Archive, which was published first in Italian in 1998 and subsequently translated into English in 1999. My essay will begin with a brief overview of Giorgio Agamben’s education and philosophical perspective, followed by a more thorough discussion of some of his recent work on political theory and modern government. Next, I offer a reading of Agamben’s Remnants of Auschwitz that highlights the ethical aspect of the work. Fundamentally, I argue that the book contains a central, though fragile, ethical imperative toward witnessing that is a distinctively philosophical response to the ineluctable place Auschwitz inhabits in the collective memory of Europe and the world. This “fragile ethics of testimony,” grounded in a provocative approach to human subjectivity, constitutes a new form of ethics that attempts to overcome the malaise of postmodernism without evoking the totalizing (or totalitarian) narratives of modernity. Finally, I will conclude with a critique of Agamben’s philosophy and method that places him in the context of an indispensable strand of anti-postmodern continental philosophy.