November 23, 2010

Students Discuss Russian Literature: A Play

SCENE: An average classroom. About twelve or so students are seated across from the teacher.

TEACHER: [Beginning the class] So, how many of you liked the today’s reading? [About half the class raises their hand] Did anyone not like it? [The other half of the class raises their hand]. OK, for those of you who didn’t like it, why don’t you tell us about it?

WOMAN 1: Well like I think it was mostly the writing style or something because like I just couldn’t really follow exactly what the author was saying you know because he didn’t seem to really go in detail into what he was talking about and it just didn’t really let me get into the book and I never really felt attached to the character of the main character because like the book itself was so short that I finished it in like one day and I never had the time to like think about what I was reading because I read it so fast and that kinda kept me from getting into it you know?

Pause as the class tries to piece together Woman 1’s long-winded, rambling response into a cohesive, critical thought.

WOMAN 2: [Breaking the silence] I didn’t even know there were Jews in Russia.

CURTAIN

[NOTE: When I facepalmed, it sounded like a gunshot. I used to be a literature major, incidentally.]