January 27, 2011

Rating system

Dear friend- and family-readers,

A friend-reader asked me to include some kind of rating system for my film reviews. In general, I am against arbitrary rating systems because I believe films are principally made to be watched, thought about, and discussed—not rated. Rating systems are reductive; they minimize the intellectual experience of a film in favor of a counterfeit objectivity that would obscure a film's aesthetic, cultural, and historical merit (which is what I typically focus on in my reviews, albeit in capsule form).

Think about it: how do you “grade” a film's social significance or political implications? For instance, a film like Hero has what are I think deeply troubling political and philosophical implications; but, those implications are intentional, and the film admittedly does a good job of putting those ideas forward. Should I rate such a film based on how well it accomplishes what it sets out to do, or should I rate such a film based on the ideas the film puts forward, disregarding how well it expresses those ideas?

See my point?

Nevertheless, after talking the matter over with another friend-reader, who likewise agreed that it would be a helpful addition, I have acquiesced. From now on, the films I review will be accompanied by a letter grade that summarizes how much I enjoyed the film. For those who, like me, don't think there is much value in rating systems, feel free to ignore the little bold letter that will be at the end of my reviews.

For your convenience, here is a key to which you can refer that I hope isn't too complicated:

A = GREAT
B = GOOD
C = MIDDLING
D = POOR
F = AWFUL
(I will also use +/- for borderline films)

Additionally, I have two important notes:

First: Since the films I take the time to write about are generally ones I find interesting or engaging in some way, and because I do not consciously seek out “bad” movies, I expect most of my reviews will end up in the A/B range. It isn't because I'm a softie; I just don't want to waste time writing a 100+ word review of a film that I think is awful unless I feel there is a definite point in doing so.

Secondofly: I will rate films with a letter grade that adequately summarizes my immediate visceral reaction to a film—not, I must stress, my intellectual interaction with the film, which will remain my focus and the most important part of my reviews. These letter grades are nothing more than a loose guideline to how much I personally enjoyed these films.

Thanks for reading.

Salaam
Harrison Abdul Malik

P.S. The friend-reader who suggested this change will be happy to hear that over the next few days I will also go back and retroactively assign my previous reviews a letter grade.